From Commuting to Working From Home - and Back?

Pre lockdown,  I used to commute most workdays to and from the office. Quite astonishing really, looking back. Train from Borehamwood to West Hampstead, walk a few minutes past Starbucks etc. to catch the London Overground to South Acton. Then down the road, cross a level crossing and enter Chiswick Business Park. On a good day, maybe catch the 8.22am from Borehamwood, and alight at the destination around 9.01am. By default, clock up a few thousand daily steps. Over the years, I subconsciously recognize a lot of track-side graffiti, rust patterns on bridges and buddleia bushes which bizarrely dominate overground railway lines, plus one in my front garden. And people watching: Still have no idea who the person with a beard and floral skirts is, and 'bookman' now mostly uses a kindle. My company office hosts a nice empty desk with 3 screens for my use, plus a bijou view of the artificial lake and deckchairs. But nostalgia does not get a free pass.

In truth, both brief train journeys were not always punctual, (or even running). Coupled with an occasionally temperamental level crossing barrier, travel time could be variable. Then there is carrying bags, packing lunch and other goodies, and remembering gym kit. In all weathers, including wet and blustery. I now eat less instant pots of couscous and peanut butter sandwiches.     

Logging into a 9.00am Microsoft Teams meeting while heavy rain lashes down on your window does highlight a mega attraction of home working (and playing Ocado/Amazon buckaroo while on a call).  Overhead lines down in Kentish Town, or a points failure in Harpenden can't delay tea and bowl of granola. Dress code can be a bit sub smart casual. No travel means less tiredness and likely more productivity (and hours). After work, I don't have to rush home (already there!) to go to the tennis club or watch Borehamwood FC play.  I am hugely fortunate to have been able to work at home. And, because Covid has affected all areas of insurance, the work has been uniquely challenging and varied.

But there are pitfalls. Every time my company laptop boots up and I successfully log in to the company network, it is worth a modest lap of honour to turn on the kettle. I upgraded our home Wifi during lockdown and it has generally been reliable. A recent electrical problem (while writing this blog) knocked out the Wifi for a day, but my neighbour kindly gave us his Wifi password. The disaster recovery plan has now officially been tested.           

My 2 most recent visits to the office were last December, and in May 2021. Every visit requires a pleading email for permission from HR (once upon a time, that used to apply to working at home for a day). Both visits were on the occasion of leaving drinks in the bar near the office. Each time, I popped in to the office building to enjoy the novelty for a few hours, and ensure my locker was free of funghi or rodents. Everyone was in order. Also, I wanted to take a requisite photo for my Microsoft Teams background spiel. Most colleagues joining the most recent alfresco libation were happy to come in for the fun bit, and had no desire to pay a visit to their desks for old times sake. It was great to see people in the flesh, including some ex-colleagues joining the festivities.          

I hope flexible mixed home/office working will be an option soon for many people. When the office finally opens, it will be nice to see my Chiswick Park pilates teacher again. Working from home, I book some weekday classes at Virgin Active Mill Hill instead, and get a calendar reminder 2 hours and 15 minutes before each class telling me to start walking now. Don't they have internal combustion engine vehicles in London NW7?  

Whatever happens, the nature of office life and commuting will change. That is something I personally welcome, and the events of the last year and a half have sped up the acceptance of remote working as a viable alternative for many roles.


        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chess on Eastenders!

Climate Change: Catastrophe or Hoax?