Living with Costochindritis - Managing Anxiety

I have no ambitions to be a Mental Health blogger - that does not define me. This one-off blog looks at my recent journey to address Costochondritis, and its ugly sibling, Anxiety.

Costochondritis is an inflammation of the cartilage in the rib cage. It affects females more than males (70% vs 30%), and bloggers and vloggers on this condition are predominantly younger women. When it is severe, it causes unpleasant discomfort in the chest, and lifting objects causes pain.  This blog by Welshmummy sums it up the very well. She has gone down the CBD oil route to alleviate it. Very best of luck to her, but CBD Oil only addresses the symptoms, not the underlying cause.

I first had Costo in the Summer of 2007 and needed 6 weeks off work, acupuncture and medication (antidepressants, propralonol) to get back to work. I had generally been OKish for the next 12 years, but October 2019 saw an nasty flare up in the centre and side of my ribs, that moved around. This caused waves of anxious feeling and a few panic attacks. I had an ECG and was cleared of having any heart problems (October 22nd - big mental relief ) and set myself a project of getting better ASAP due to my planned volunteering in Israel in exactly 2 months! The aim was to find the right therapists and avoid medication. I regularly rubbed Iboprofen Gel and Vicks Vaporub into tender ribs, which gave relief over the coming days. My company agreed that I could work at home for 2 weeks while I got better.

My health project started with a google search of Costochondritis. I discovered the Backpod (£69 from Amazon), and the wonderful New Zealand inventor, Physiotherapist Steve August. He teaches you how to use it with a series of free videos. To him, Costo is essentially a bio-mechanical problem caused by locked upper back ribs.     



The Backpod was a huge help getting me back to the office within 2 weeks, particularly having confidence travelling on the train and walking to and from stations. I bought a small pull-along case to avoid carrying bags, and could also work at home 2 days a week - a great help. The Costo had by no means gone away, and further therapy was necessary. I believe in fate (divine intervention), and a random introduction to a therapist at The Herts Pain and Injury Clinic, led me to taking a regular course of Osteopathy Sessions. Then, after a Pilates class at Chiswick Park Virgin Active, my teacher introduced me to Bowen therapist Rob who happened to pass by. Rob specializes in back pain and runs a successful part-time clinic on-site. He did a couple of quick, quirky tests on me,  and I agreed to set up an appointment.
   
My Osteopath is Laura Hazell, principal at the Radlett Clinic. Osteopathy is very hands on and my arms and ribs are moved around in various repetitive sequences to create more movement. I am very pleased with the progress made to date and can recommend using the clinic if you have any sports injury or musculoskeletal issues.

Bowen Therapy is described as "a holistic remedial body technique that works on the soft connective tissue (fascia) of the body. It is used to treat musculoskeletal or related neurological problems." Google is very negative about Bowen stating there is no evidence it works. I took the view that if you can run a successful clinic for many years at a large gym, you must be doing something right. 

The treatments are hard to summarize. Some prodding and pressing, followed by walking up and down the room to fix the changes. Then various strange lateral twists, which I need to do at home regularly. Rob is very into "unwinding the helix" from years of body compression. Further treatments also on the front and back of the ribs. The main initial issue Rob addressed was tingling in the the Jaw - TMJ syndrome. He gave me wooden sticks to bite on in a specific manner, and the tingling was gone after a week. In his view, TMJ problems contribute to nerve discomfort in the body as it affects the signaling from the brain. I definitely felt a marked lessening of anxiety following this fix.              

Rob suggested taking Vitamins C, D and Magnesium Supplements. I have done this, but not followed his belief in the Keto-Paleo (Meat and Veg) Diet. Have consciously cut down on bread intake , eaten more salads and and drank more herb teas. Interestingly, Rob bought himself a Backpod, which he  uses daily, and has recommended it to date to 4 clients with upper back issues.

I achieved my objective of going abroad for 3 weeks and volunteering at the end of December. On returning, Osteopath and Bowen treatments resumed. It will clearly take a long time to fully get rid of Costo. It is positive that any minor discomfort is different every day, as this reflects the body adjusting to improvements in posture. A major personal target of getting back on the tennis court was achieved early February.

I want to thank my family and friends for their support and understanding, and am grateful to have the means and opportunity to get the right treatments. It is not easy for everyone, but changing your diet and following appropriate exercise regimes can be a huge part of maintaining and improving physical and mental heath.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chess on Eastenders!

From Commuting to Working From Home - and Back?

Climate Change: Catastrophe or Hoax?